Monday, January 4, 2016

Week in a Bagel

I decided I might occasionally title weeks according to different foods that start with B. I might change the letter as well, but I am truly title lacking. Anybody with title strategies please tell me. 

The week was a bit rough to be honest. Long story short my companion Elder Harvey went home due to medical issues and death in the family. It's hard to watch the people you love suffer, but God will support him through and through.

I did get a new companion though! Elder Akichi is from Ivory Coast, and a native French speaker! He's great, 23 and has been on mission for a year now. I've been told I'll be transferred from JCity in 6 weeks, and he'll be the senior companion after I leave, so I just get to train him in the area and go! It's weird, knowing that I'm going to be leaving JCity, but it just means I've got that much more work to do until the end! 



I also asked Elder Akichi if he liked brownies, and the response was, "What is... brownie?" I have serious work to do. Thankfully, I have a microwave brownie recipe that I can put into action. I love the guy already and am looking forward to a fantastic transfer.

To the week: 

Tuesday: 
Instead of district council, President Heid had everybody clean their apartments and update the area book. Then we went out to teach Gy about lesson two and gave her a baptismal date. Not sure she'll keep to it, but it's good to keep her progressing toward something. Then we went to Accra so Elder Harvey could see a doctor, and while I was there I cut Elder Morris' hair! Picture to be included!


Wednesday
The Sanders fed us pancakes, which was wonderful! Then we saw the doctor, and went to KCity for a dinner the district held for us, where we talked with branch presidents about what we could do to coordinate better.

Thursday
We went to brother Ai's place to teach him and his wife, and ended up waiting a while for him to prepare food that he insisted on feeding us. It was so much I couldn't finish, and almost offended him. Eeesh, scary stuff.  Then we saw Jf, and he invited a friend, Rj to the lesson, and he was totally killer! He practically extended the commitments himself, and told her he'd come pick her up for church. Then we saw El, and talked about the temple, and found out he really wanted his Patriarchal Blessing! Powerful guy. Then we saw Aa and Jt, and dropped by Em's to close off the day.

Friday
We figured out the process of Elder Harvey going home, and spent time packing, and getting a couple things for him, and then went to teach Geo and his wife Sr, and both are committed to baptism! Then we said a bunch of goodbyes, saw a less active, and then closed the day.

Saturday
The district, and even zone leaders came in the morning to say goodbye to Elder Harvey, and then I picked up Elder Akichi! We first taught Pe, and clarified her confusion on the Fall, and how God had planned for Adam to take the fruit. Then we saw Dl, who expressed a desire to be baptized, as long as he can stay in town long enough. Then we helped at the chapel cleaning, and then went to visit Em again before we closed for the day. Em is a recent convert from ACity, and we are planning on baptizing her little sister! 

Sunday
I conducted sacrament, bore first testimony, and then taught Sunday school. Then, for quorum class, the area seventy, President Carter, showed up! We took a picture before he left, and then we waited and had meetings after church. Then we saw Al, and taught her about the plan of salvation, and dropped by Pk for the first time in forever, and it looks like he's doing well from the hospital! Love this guy! Then, in weekly planning we set a goal for 3 baptisms for the month, and we'll see how it goes! Also, it seems that President Kassah got permission from Cy's mom for her to be baptized, as long as it's in the next week that is! It's fantastic! Report on that next week.

This week I've thought a lot about trials, and how God gives them to us so that we can be strengthened, and humble. "I give unto men weakness that they may be humble." It's been heartbreaking for me to see my companion struggle, but I know that God will stand by him, even when I can't do much for him.

I love yall!
Rockin' it!

Elder Harris






No comments:

Post a Comment